In 2008 HACSC was selected by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to be part of the Moving to Work (MTW) demonstration program. Created by Congress in 1996, the MTW designation provides HACSC the flexibility to develop local approaches to meet the specific needs of low-income families in Santa Clara County. The three MTW statutory goals established by Congress are:
- Decrease administrative costs and increase cost effectiveness in housing program operations,
- Promote participants’ economic self-sufficiency, and
- Expand participants’ housing choices.
Information on the activities and outcomes of HACSC efforts under the MTW program can be found here.
All households assisted through the following programs are administered using MTW program flexibility:
- Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) or Section 8
- Family Unification Program (FUP)
- Non-Elderly Disabled Voucher (NED)
- Project Based Voucher (PBV)
- Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), with exceptions – not all MTW flexibilities apply.
2017 MTW Annual Plan
HACSC is currently in its ninth full year of a 10-year MTW agreement. HACSC’s MTW Annual Plan for fiscal year 2017, that covers the period from July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017, is available here.
For More Information
To learn more about the MTW program, including a list of all housing authorities currently designated as MTW demonstration sites, please visit the HUD website