• New Contract Inspection Process
• Rent Check Processing
• Change of Owner or Agent Information
• Ongoing Unit Inspections
• Owner-Requested Rent Increases
Moves and Portability
Intent to Vacate Notices
If a participant family is going to move out of their unit, the family and the owner must immediately notify the Housing Authority of the family’s Intent to Vacate (ITV) and submit a copy of the written notice to move.
The Housing Authority will establish the termination date of the contract and lease based on the ITV date. If an extension of that date is needed, the family and owner must provide a written request specifying the new ITV date. The extension notice must be received by the Housing Authority five days before the previously established ITV/Termination date. Extensions cannot be more than 60 days from the original ITV/Termination date of Contract and Lease.
If an extension request is not received five days before the ITV/Termination date, the Housing Authority will mail a one-time termination confirmation notice to the tenant and owner. The termination of the contract and lease will automatically take effect on the ITV date. If the family remains in unit after this date, the family will be responsible for the full contract rent to the owner.
If a tenant wishes to cancel an ITV notice, the cancellation must be submitted to the Housing Authority in writing by the tenant and the owner.
Transfer Vouchers for Moves within the County of Santa Clara
A family who wishes to move must receive a Transfer Voucher before vacating their current unit. The Housing Authority will only issue Transfer Vouchers to families who:
- Are meeting Family Obligations under the Program; AND
- Do not have any outstanding debts owed to the Housing Authority or are current with their monthly repayment agreements.
Additionally, families wishing to move must:
- Have completed their initial lease term; OR
- Have a contract and lease that are being terminated due to the owner's breach of terms; OR
- Have a contract and lease that are being terminated by the Housing Authority due to a violation of Housing Quality Standards that are not tenant-caused; OR
- Have a mutual agreement with the owner to vacate.
Transfer Vouchers for Moves to Another County (Portability)
A family who wishes to move, using their voucher, in a city located outside of Santa Clara County may do so any time after recieving their voucher provided they were living in the County of Santa Clara at the time they first registered on the Voucher Waiting List.
Families who were living outside the County of Santa Clara when they first registered for the Waiting List must reside as Voucher participants in the County of Santa Clra for their first year of participation in the Program before moving outside the County.